Thursday, November 25, 2010

Lost in Translation

A sideways glance. A sigh.

Who knew Europe could be so hard on his American heart?

Another glance. A murmur..”Oi Lienda…”

She glanced up, fluttering eyelashes. Questioning look.

“Belle que fai?”, he asked

A hesitant smile. Smiling, but not comprehending.

“Bonita, bonita que tal?”

A raised eyebrow. Still silent.

“But Belle…”

She interrupts with a soft sigh and a raised hand “Je ne comprends pas francais…So you’ll have to speak to me..some other way…”

He smiled and shook his head…so much for lost in translation…

"Hi", he began afresh...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Johnson came up with this 1 minute 30 second gem called "Belle" for his (apparently) multilingual wife. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfn2aq4RVos)

And listening to it, I just thought of a man- trying to figure out what language his lady love speaks. Those lines are the lyrics of the song:


Oi Lienda: Hello, beautiful. (portuguese)
Bella que fai?: Beautiful, what are you doing? (italian)
Bonita, bonita que tal?: Beautiful, beautiful, how are you? (spanish)
But belle: But beautiful
Je ne comprends pas fran
çais: I do not understand French (french)
So you'll have to speak to me
Some other way


1 comment:

  1. I want you, I want you, I want you.
    I think you know by now
    I'll get to you somehow.
    Until I do I'm telling you so
    You'll understand.

    If you like Belle, I'm pretty sure you've heard 'Michelle'...I love the silliness in the way Jack's callin' out, but as simple poetry I prefer the Beatles' words

    ReplyDelete