Thursday, November 25, 2010

For Kids..Or Not!

I watched HP and the Deathly Hallows the other day and amidst squeals of kids babbling "babby bottah", I realized that this one just isn't for the kids.

I remember half way through the Potter series; there were protests by the church with regards to the apparent promotion of witchcraft amongst kids. I mean, are u serious? Church getting its knickers in a twist over Harry Potter? Um, did you perchance glance at Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy? Now that's a series worth getting your knickers in a twist over :)

I mean the first book is great and yes, somewhat for kids (Spoiler- What do you mean? Your mother is a super villain and your father, in his quest for power refuses to acknowledge you? Childs play all that! ) But then comes the second book and with it, the goose bumps. Extremely fast paced, this 'children's book' tells a riveting story of Bill and Laira. And the third one is a gut wrenching end (spoiler- Dear Church, Metatron was the f***ing super villain- or did u skip this piece entirely?) And they call it a bloody 'children's book'!

I don't get these tags. I picked up Stardust by Neil Gaiman fully anticipating it to be a 'Children's Book'- it does say fairy tale on the cover. All's good till I encounter our favorite little four letter word on the fourth page, second paragraph, all caps. Interesting!

Hence, a humble plea- don’t judge a book by its cover. There’s been no book from which I haven’t learnt. And there’s so much more out there…

No comments:

Post a Comment